Software Engineering and Cyber
The Department of Software Engineering and Cyber Security began its activity in 2015.
During the licensed expertise in 2014 it was proposed to create a graduate department on the basis of the Department of Economic Cybernetics and Information Systems for the training of specialists in specialty 121 "Software Engineering". According to the resolution of the scientific council of KNTU from February 26, 2015 (protocol number 5), a decision was adopted to create, on the basis of the Department of Economic Cybernetics and Information Systems, two units, the Department of Program Engineering and Cyber Security is one of them.
In 2018 a new specialty 125 "Cyber security" of the educational degree "Bachelor" was licensed at the Department of Software Engineering and Information Systems.
The basic principles of the department's work are the principle of correspondence of the content with disciplines of the advanced achievements of the information science and the development of information technologies.
The mission of the department is the development of information science on modern programming languages and programming technology, information processes in the economy and their effective management in the conditions of the information society, and also the formation of students with the corresponding competences in algorithmization and programming.
Lecturer the Department of Software Engineering and Cyber Security have considerable practical and scientific experience, which enables them to provide effectively lecture, practical and other types of the studies for 53 disciplines.
The department carries out training of the specialists on the specialty 121 "Software engineering" of educational degrees "Bachelor" and "Master" and on the specialty 125 "Cyber security" of the educational degree "Bachelor".
The department is headed by Doctor of Engineering Science, Professor Olena Kryvoruchko
The department has an appropriate material and technical base - computers of the new generation, equipment for visual accompaniment of the lectures and practical studies, providing a modern level of educational process and organization of research work of the students. The department has five computer classes. More than 100 modern computers are integrated into the local computer network with access to INTERNET. All laboratory works are provided with electronic methodical manuals published in the clouds.
Lecturer of the department actively use advanced teaching methods: distance lectures, seminars, business games, testing.
At the Department of Software Engineering and Cyber Security, there are two student groups: Programming Group and a Technical Modes Study Circle.
By working in circles, students improve their knowledge in the field of object-oriented programming, technical means of the information systems, conduct scientific-research works and implement real projects. So within the framework of the Smart Home project, students study the principles and methods of building and implementing computer control systems, their software and hardware components. Also, the interaction of the language means object-oriented programming with MS Excel and MS Access packages is explored. Students spend considerable work on creating an electronic version of the KNTEU Museum.
The members of the circle report on the results of their research and practical realization at the student's scientific conferences.
Repeatedly the students of the department took prize-winning places at the Ukrainian and international programming competitions, also represented the department and university at the exhibitions, contests, conferences and forums.
The peculiarity of the study program is the guarantee of obtaining quality education for the further work in the industry to create a software product, technology and tools for its development.
The training takes place in accordance with national and international educational standards in the field of computer science and informatics. Students are ready to participate in the development of software based on the use of the latest technology in software engineering.
Now the curriculum of the bachelor's degree includes about 40 disciplines. One of the peculiarities of our training is the training of specialists in the field of information technology, which can work in teams for the development of large software projects.
Starting from the 3rd course the students have the practice in leading IT companies in Kyiv and Ukraine. The agreement on cooperation between the Chair of KNTUU and Microsoft, EPAM Systems, Medoc, BI Consulting, Cyber, Cyberpolicies Department and LLC "PROCOM" allowed to create a stable base for the conducting academic internships and internships at the department.
Practicing involvement of leading specialists in the teaching of professionally oriented disciplines.
- Are able to develop software on C, C ++, C #, Java, SQL and other languages and environments.
- Know how a computer network of any complexity is created and is running,
- Work with different operating systems and platforms,
- Are able to develop the program for the mobile arrangements,
- Have the skills of creating databases and complex information systems,
- Know the modern technologies of program development.
- Are prepared for the development of WEB-applications, corporate systems, system software, computer graphics, computer games and training programs,
- Are able to provide the quality of software systems,
- Aimed at the development of new technologies, the acquisition of new knowledge and skills in the field of the development of any software,
- Are ready for everything new and modern.
Each of our students is the future:
Possible positions on the job market in the specialty «Software engineering»
Employment. Graduates are focused on work on the production of software products in industrial and research companies and corporations in the fields of highly-productive information and computer technologies, industrial programming of information and control systems, software engineering, system analysis. Graduates receive decent wages for their professional competencies. They immediately after the employment work in industrial projects. Our graduates are widely employed.
Practice shows that for the graduates of the department there are no difficulties to get a job on a specialty in different firms both in Ukraine and abroad. As a rule, starting from the 3rd or 4th courses, about 70% of students are actually determined by their employment.
After completing the baccalaureate, students who wish to improve their professional level, are given the opportunity to continue their studies in the magistracy in full-time or part-time form. Graduates of the magistracy, which show a tendency to the science researching and further professional development, may enter postgraduate studies.
Requirements to the individual abilities
of a specialist
on "Software Engineering" and "Cyber Security":
- abstract and
system thinking; attentiveness;
- tendency to study of foreign languages;
- Ability to work in a team;
- propensity to intellectual activity;
- high motivation to creative activity, self-study, analytical thinking (the ability to allocate individual elements of reality, the ability to classify);
- efficiency of thinking (speed of mental processes, intellectual lability).
New specialty «Software Engineering» EL « Bachelor»
"Software Engineering" is a promising specialty, which is defined by the needs of the time.
In KNUTE, a program for the preparation of bachelors provides training for professional programmers and analysts in the field of technology and tools for developing system and application software.
In this direction the University prepares the training of system and application programmers for the development of industrial technologies and tools for creating a qualified software product. During the period of study, the training of qualified specialists is combined in the field of industrial programming and internships in enterprises producing high-quality software products in accordance with CMMI-5 or ISO-900x standards .
Students are constantly participating in the All-Ukrainian Student Olympiads on Programming and Educational Discipline "Informatics", where prize-winning places take place. They take part in cybersport tournaments.
The peculiarity of the study program is the guarantee of obtaining quality education for further work in the industry of a software product creation, technology and tools for its development creation. When attending classes regularly, teachers provide individual work with the student, which is the key to the successful completion of the bachelor's degree.
The preparation of professional system and application programmers for the industrial development of high-quality software products is taking place, who have the skills to support technology and tools in accordance with the requirements of domestic educational standards and international recommendations of Computing Curricula, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering.
Laboratory and practical classes are conducted by active experts in the field of industry.
The graduates have a fundamental and practical training that meets the requirements of modern domestic and foreign organizations specializing in software development.
To become true professionals, our students study:
- information technologies and peculiarities of their usage;
- algorithms and data structures;
- organization of computer networks, computer graphics, web- programming;
- database systems;
- mathematical discipline necessary for a programmer ;
- artificial intelligence systems, software project management basics and much more.
One of the important parts of the training cycle is the practice that students have directly in IT companies, where they learn the skills of working in the team and get acquainted with the latest software developments.
The objects of professional activity of graduates who have mastered the bachelor's program are the program project (software development project), the software product (software to be created), processes of the product life cycle, the methods and tools for developing of a software product, and the personnel involved in the processes life cycle.
The graduates who have mastered the bachelor's program must have the following general-professional competencies:
- possession of the basic concepts, principles, theories and facts related to computer science;
- possession of the architecture of electronic computers and systems;
- readiness to apply the basics of computer science and programming to the design, construction and testing of software products;
- the ability to search, store, process and analyze information from various sources and databases, to present it in the required format using information, computer and network technologies.
A graduate who has mastered a bachelor's program must have professional competencies that correspond to the type of professional activity on which the bachelor's program is oriented, they are:
- possessing skills in the use of operating systems, network technologies, software interface the use of languages and methods of formal specifications, database management systems;
- possessing skills of using different technologies of software development;
- Owning concepts and attributes of software quality (reliability, security, usability), including the role of people, processes, methods, tools and quality assurance technologies;
- possessing of standards and life cycle models;
- organizational and managerial activity, such as possession of classical concepts and models of management in a project management.
Each of our students is the future is:
- Developer / Programmer - engineer-programmer;
- Software Developer / Programmer - application software developer;
- Web Developer / Programmer - web programmer;
- Database Developer / Programmer - database programmer;
- Game Developer / Producer - game programmer-developer;
- Data Analyst - Analyst;
- QA Specialist - Program Quality and Testing Specialist.
Employment. The graduates are focused to work for the production of software products in industrial and research companies and corporations in the fields of high-performance information and computer technology, industrial programming of information and control systems, software engineering, and system analysis. The graduates receive a competitive salary for their professional competencies. Immediately after employment they fully work on industrial projects. Our graduates are widely sought after. They successfully pass interviews and prove their professionalism when working in such companies as:
Practice shows that there are no difficulties for the graduates of the department in obtaining work in their specialty in different firms in Ukraine and abroad. As a rule, starting from the 3rd or 4th year of study, about 70% of students are actually determined with their employment.
After completing the baccalaureate, the students who wish to improve their professional level, are given the opportunity to continue their studies in the magistracy in a full-time or contractual form of study, which, after its completion, allows them to obtain a Master's degree. Graduates , who have propensity to research and further professional development, enter postgraduate studies.
The training is being implemented by the faculty, which includes both experienced professors and young teachers-candidates of sciences.
There are 4 computer classes, integrated into a single local area network with wired and wireless communications, equipped with modern personal equipment and licensed software from Microsoft and Oracle.
New specialty "Software Engineering", AD "Master"
Programmers of professional level, software developers and technology developers, developers of advanced software tools and programming tools (Software Engineering) are trained on the basis of the master's program.
Graduates receive training that meets the requirements of world and domestic educational standards, and they are able to be engaged in research, to improve their knowledge, to gain practical experience and improve their professional level.
During the training period, the training of qualified specialists in the field of industrial programming is combined with the passing of practice in enterprises, organizations and leading IT companies that create a high-quality software product in accordance with CMMI-5 or ISO-900x standards.
The professional training cycle covers the following disciplines: functional and logical programming; methods and means of information protection in computer systems; technology of designing information systems; Cloud and GRID technology; data analysis technology; video processing methods; programming and administration of enterprise information system; design of multimedia systems; biometric authentication technologies in information systems; development of mobile applications.
In addition to conducting lectures the educational process involves labs and practical classes in classrooms and computer classes equipped with modern technical and software, and individual educational work of a teacher with a student. This contributes to the improvement of the quality of training, the successful graduation of the magistracy by the student with a guaranteed obtaining of the required qualification level.
The acquisition and development of professional skills facilitates the involvement in the educational process by having lectures-presentations, master classes, practical classes of highly skilled practitioners of leading organizations and IT companies, that are engaged in the development of software products and the creation of modern information systems and technologies.
Students also have the opportunity to take industrial and pre-diploma practice directly in profile organizations and firms, which activities require the training of specialists in the field of education (AD) "Master", which allows to produce a software product of the highest quality (the highest level by the classification of CMMI and ISO).
The objects of professional
activity of graduates who mastered the program of the AD "Master",
specialty 121 "Software Engineering" are:
- methods and algorithms of data processing in informational and computer systems;
- parallel, high-performance and distributed informational and computing systems;
- processes of industrial testing of software;
- programming languages and their translators;
- security of informational systems and networks;
- network protocols and network services;
- operating systems.
Types of professional activities, for which graduates who have mastered the program of magistracy in specialty 121 "Software Engineering" are trained:
- scientific research activity;
- designed activity;
- production and technological activity.
A graduate who has mastered the program "Master" specialty 121 "Software Engineering", according to the types of professional activities on which the program is oriented, is ready to solve such professional tasks:
- research activities:
- carrying out of scientific researches connected with objects of professional activity;
- development of a new and improved existing methods and algorithms of data processing in information and computer systems;
- writing reports on carried out research work and publishing scientific results;
- project activity:
- design of distributed informational systems and protocols for their interaction;
- design of systems with parallel data processing and high-performance systems;
- production and technological activities:
- software implementation of informational and computing systems, including distributed ones;
- software implementation of systems with parallel data processing and high-performance systems;
- development of software for analysis and recognition of information, digital signal processing systems;
- organization of industrial testing of the created software.
A graduate who has mastered the program AD “Master” of specialty 121 "Software Engineering", has the following general and professional competencies:
- the ability to perceive mathematical, socio-economic and professional knowledge;
- the ability to independently acquire, develop and apply knowledge for solving of non-standard tasks in a new or unfamiliar environment and in an interdisciplinary context;
- the ability to analyze and evaluate the levels of competencies combined with the ability and willingness to self-regulate further education and professional mobility;
- knowledge of one of the foreign languages at the level of social and professional communication, the ability to apply specific vocabulary and professional terminology of the language;
- the ability to analyze professional information, highlight the main in it, and also structure, design and represent it in the form of analytical reviews with substantiated conclusions and recommendations.
A graduate who has mastered the program of a magistracy must have professional competencies, corresponding to the types of professional activity, which is oriented to the program of magistracy:
- knowledge of the methods of scientific research and possession of their skills;
- possession of existing methods and algorithms of solving problems of recognition and processing of data;
- understanding of existing approaches to software model verification;
- project activity: the ability to design distributed information systems, their components and protocols for their interaction;
- the ability to design systems with parallel processing of data and high-performance systems, and their components;
- production and technological activity: possessing of skills of program realization of distributed information systems;
- possessing of skills of software implementation of systems with parallel processing of data and high-performance systems;
- possessing of skills of creation of software for analysis, recognition and processing of information;
- owning the skills of creation of network protocol services;
- possessing the skills of creation of systems for processing texts;
- possessing the skills to organize industrial testing of the software being created.
The graduates of the magistracy, who have propensity to research work and further professional development, are enrolled in postgraduate studies.